It's almost September, and that means it's time to head back to school and often back to single use culture. But we're here to tell you, it doesn't have to be that way!
Did you know, in North America Millions of plastic bags are thrown out from school lunches every day?
Back to School represents a shift for many households, and considering the switch to reusables can make a great impact for the environment while potentially saving you time and money.
Here are a few easy suggestions to reduce single use, throwaway components to the typical school day:
1) Try reusable silicone or similar snack and/or sandwich bags which can be washed and reused hundreds of times.
2) Swap plastic cutlery for reusable alternatives made of stainless steel, bamboo or compostable materials.
3) Ditch plastic wrap and replace with Beeswax Wraps for wrapping fruit, sandwiches, or fold them into handy bags with a naturally sticky closure.
4) Keep hydrated with reusable water bottles and/or travel mugs - there are plenty of styles to suit every taste, beverage & budget!
5) Search for the perfect reusable lunch kit / stacking container system to cut down on the number of containers you need to own & help insulate food there by reducing energy consumption!
By taking a few small steps toward reducing waste, you can start to make a substantial impact on the waste stream.
In addition to simple changes to how we pack lunches, those living on their own such as University students can make additional impact with refillable laundry & dish soap, cleaning products and even feminine hygiene needs.
Check out our collection of Back to School items at Fill Vernon here.